Monday, May 4

Summertime and the livin’ is easy. Bye everyone! I leave you with this year’s Grizzly@Adams Super Summer Classic: George and Ira Gershwin’s lullaby “Summertime,” from Porgy and Bess. To hear Billie Holiday sing this standard, click here. Ella Fitzgerald also has a fine version of the song. Amy Winehouse’s version is not quite in the same league, but still worth a listen. For an acid-rock version, try this one from Jim Morrison and the Doors. And for the 1959 film version, click here.

“Your daddy’s rich and your ma is good lookin.’” Now that’s poetry.

Previous Super Summer Classics include “Summersong” by the Decemberists and “Hot Fun in the Summertime” by Sly and the Family Stone.

7 comments:

Star Pupil Productions said...

No, Mazel. Say it isn't so. It can't be time for summer. I just hope you keep us updated on your adventures, as I am doing on my blog, bunsensbark.blogspot.com. I am a pretty happening dog, if I do say so myself. This summer I'll be checking out some moose in Montgomery Center, VT (staying at the Phineas Swann dog and human bed and breakast) and...as I think you know...moving to Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania. I had been told we were moving to Alaska so it's a shocking disappointment, to say the least. Selinsgrove is only 150 miles from here. You call that a move? Huh? Do you, Mazel?

Didn't think so.

'Nuf said.

David Mazel said...

You lucky dog.

Star Pupil Productions said...

Yep. But I deserve more din din.

boyeram said...

very fitting. have a great summer!

elijah Carter said...

pretty good i like the choise of summer time a very old great blues free blues song. ilike have a great summer. Thanks for helping me write my papers. :)

Anonymous said...

never forget anonymous: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOXnxmlEkY0&feature=channel

David Mazel said...

Anonymous--doesn't that slide illustrate Aristotle's theory of procreation? Not to mention the reason God killed Onan...?