Monday, April 20

Senior Seminar. The concluding chapter of We gives us a chilling description of the interrogation of I-330 and other suspected members of the Mephi. Here’s the key passage:

In the evening of that day I sat at one table with Him, with the Benefactor (for the first time) in the famous Gas Room. They brought in that woman. In my presence she was supposed to give her testimony. This woman stubbornly said nothing and was smiling. I noticed that she had sharp and very white teeth and that this was beautiful.

Then they led her under the Bell Jar. Her face became very white and since her eyes were dark and big, this was very beautiful. When they started to pump air out from under the Bell Jar, she threw back her head, half-closed her eyes, and squeezed her lips — this reminded me of something. She was looking at me, strongly gripping the armrests of the chair and looking, until her eyes closed completely. Then they dragged her out, quickly brought her back to her senses with the help of electrodes, and then put her back under the Bell Jar. They repeated this three times and she still didn’t say a word. Others, who had been brought in together with this woman, turned out to be more honorable: many of them started to talk after the first time.
This description is not particularly graphic. What makes it so powerful? I would argue that its horror is deepened by the matter-of-fact tone in which it is described, which is to say, by the failure of the recently lobotomized narrator to recognize it for the torture that it is and to be revolted by it.

OK. You all know what an America-hating knee-jerk liberal I am, and you probably recognize the photo above as one taken at Abu Ghraib prison, so you can probably guess where I’m going with this. What horrifies and disgusts me most about my own country’s barbaric treatment of “enemy combatants” is not so much that it happened in the first place. It’s the ongoing strenuous refusal of so many influential Americans to acknowledge torture as torture — and beyond that the lack of outrage among Americans generally.

That waterboarding and other “enhanced interrogation techniques” in fact constitute torture has been acknowledged by everyone from the International Red Cross to Republican Senator John McCain (see here), yet any number of influential talking heads still refuse to acknowledge that truth (see here). But so far only a few low-ranking soldiers (like Charles Graner and Lynddie England) have been prosecuted for torture. The high-ranking officials who authorized torture in the first place are still at large. One of the most important of these people, John Yoo, is now a law professor. Another, Jay Bybee, is a federal judge. As for Dick Cheney and George W. Bush — I’m not holding my breath. As Bob Dylan once reminded us, “All the criminals in their coats and their ties / are free to drink martinis and watch the sun rise.”

Here let me quote the key concept from the work of David and Nanelle Barash, who define dystopia as the denial of a biologically-based human nature:
In justifying this nightmare society [of 1984], Winston’s torturer, O’Brien, explains: “You are imagining that there is something called human nature which will be outraged by what we do and will turn against us. But we create human nature. Men are infinitely malleable.” Fortunately, O’Brien...is wrong.
Well, is there “something called human nature” which is intrinsically outraged by what we do? Or has that something been hammered out of us? Is O’Brien right or wrong?

If we think of “the soul” in We as a kind of shorthand for all that makes us uniquely human — imagination, love — then is Zamyatin suggesting in the passage above that part of being human is the ability to recognize and be revolted by torture? If so, should we say that America has lost its soul?

I’ll give you my answer to this question after you’ve all replied.

P.S. For a recent essay likening torture at Guantanamo Bay to that in Nineteen Eighty Four, take a look at Scott Horton’s “Revealing the Secrets in Room 101.”

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I personally think that it is disgusting that Dick Cheney and others are getting on the national media outlets and defending these interrogation techniques, on the precept that they kept America safe, and therefore their action are acceptable. I don't know if America has lost it's soul, but it seems like the Republican Party has.

It seems, they have replaced their souls, with partisan bickering. I am even more astonished and nauseated by the political issues they are trying to warp this into. I think it is a matter of our country's image in the world, not Republican V. Democrat.

I just got through talking with a friend who takes frequent visits to the middle east. He said in Pakistan, America has lost the hearts and minds of the richest to the poorest. They don't understand why we are after this Taliban, and believe that suicide bombers and others are on the American Government payroll. Needless to say, the recent developments in this news, won't help change these perceptions.

I am proud that President Obama is taking a more diplomatic approach to our foreign policy. It seems we probably do create human nature. The Republican Leadership under Bush created a class of citizens without a soul, or a logical mind, and now the Obama Leadership is trying to reverse this ordeal. I only wish extremist conservative would quit playing politics, and join their nation they love so much.

SHETH said...

What bothers me most about the torture is not just what is happening to the enemy combatants. It bothers me that our country is asking people to torture other individuals.

What does torturing do to the people who conduct it? What effects does it have on them? I'm sure they don't sleep too well at night, either. I know these men and women are told to do whatever they need to do for the country, and if they don't they will be disobeying orders. But can we ask a country's citizens to injure/harm others? Is that right? Is it fair to ask people who 6 weeks prior were at home with their families to torture and harm an individual who also 6 weeks prior was at home with their family?

The torturing is thought to be done for the greater good, but ultimately it ends up on a personal level that damages the human spirit, that injures the soul. I have to believe that everyone involved in the process - the act itself - has to have some feeling about it, some feeling that it is wrong. I can't imagine being so numbed to the world that one isn't affected by it.

That's what is so amazing, I suppose, about 1984 and WE - Smith and the people operating the Bell Jar don't have any qualms with torturing because they see a bigger purpose to it. It's for the common good. Their feelings for the state over-ride their feelings of decency, kindness, goodness, mercy.

Perhaps that is what makes these novels dystopias - they remove the human quality and place a higher importance on the good of the state.

Anonymous said...

Robert says...
america has no soul and has not for a perod of decades. it is not that we are in a postion to care. it is that we are no longer in a giving mood. the ills of the world are the worlds. the nacarsism and matiralism that drives the elements of our soecity have deprived americans of the abilty to give a shit. even coruption at the highest levels of goverment scandals as blantent as teapot dome, watergate, american scadals do not incite the same response they once did. activitys that would indit leaders for war crimes and have are being ingonored greviuos breeches of trust between the goverment and the american people are comman place and what do we do gruble about the econmy grovel about oil prices re-elect the man who has maniplated us... to be continued

Anonymous said...

The thing is, when have humans ever been concerned for their fellow man? Since the beginning of time, all we care about is getting ahead of the other person. Torture has been a so called norm for thousands of years, because people think torturing others will protect them from something similar. Rome was known for being thrilled at watching others being eaten by lions or watching men fight to the death. During the colonization of Native Americans, white people's main goal was to enforce genocide on them to obtain their land. Hitler killed millions of Jews and his country watched and helped him do it. No, Americans do not have souls it seems, but when has any country ever had one? How many times do we walk by poor people and are disgusted with their appearance and their stench; when we are placing torture on them by not giving them anything to eat or drink. We are all guilty of not having souls. We are humans, and being so, we are anything but perfect, we are greedy and self-consumed with our own personal well being. It's sad, but that's the way it has always been.

Snoopy

Anonymous said...

So, is humanity defined in part by its outrage towards violence, particularly torture? Perhaps I am being ridiculously idealistic, but I say yes. I do agree that human nature is something that is created (as O'Brien said), but I think in order for it to remain within the bounds of human nature, it is necessary that violence and torture and the like outrage us. If we become like D-503 and can calmly and objectively view someone's suffering and not be moved in the slightest, I think we have overstepped the bounds of human nature and become something else entirely (isn't this what modern psychologists would label "sociopathic"?).

Violence is atrocious, obviously, but disturbingly enough it surrounds us everywhere. I think the lack of public outrage at things such as Abu Ghraib is not necessarily because people have lost their humanity, but because their humanity is so outraged by what occurs that they realize the hopelessness and become numb. I personally have not reached the point where I can look at things such as that and not be severely upset. I think most of us are bothered at least a little. If we aren't, I think it's because our society has bred such violence that we are desensitized into seeing it as the norm (and where can the blame for that properly be laid?). In that way, we're probably on our way to becoming a lot more dystopian than we think are.

Anonymous said...

hmmm, re-evaluating what I wrote above, perhaps I could have been a little more clear in my words. I don't see this as a partisan issue, as I believe I stated with, "I think it is a matter of our country's image in the world, not Republican V. Democrat."

Though, I will stand by I believe one political ideology is trying to mold the view that the other is trying to make this into a political issue. In addition, in more than just this issue, the Republican Party has lost it's soul. I did not mean to put this whole single issue on their shoulders.

All in all, I find this whole ordeal dispecable. I don't care who approved of these techniques, regardless of political philosopy, if they broke the law, and some of our most instrinsic American values, everyone should be held accountable, even Nancy Pelosi.

Gregg n Rose said...

Politics aside, I think that part of being human is also a desire for strength, comfort, assurance, and superiority, even if at the expense of another human being.

Recently, (in another of my classes) we talked about a brutal sacrificial slaughter of 40,000 prisoners over three days by the Aztecs in the 1400's and what their motivations might have been in doing so, as well as their citizenry's tolerance of such a hideous action. The prime motivators were 1.) Religion and 2.) Power by Association- The Aztecs surrounded themselves with images of death, which reminded them of their own mortality, which in turn has been scientifically proven (experimentally) to heighten feelings of identification with the existent power structure and tolerance of their misdeeds upon "other people."

Thus, though we know that torture of another human being (or even animal, for that matter) is wrong, we allow ourselves to tolerate it because of the justifications given. For instance, it is difficult for me to watch Islamic extremist terrorists behead a helpless and innocent person on youTube and then feel pity for a prisoner who is waterboarded and released...

In some way, the media may thus be responsible for the same effect on contemporary Americans: 911 aside, the nightly news serves as a constant reminder of our own mortality, deadening our sense of revulsion to things like torture, especially when perpetrated against people or organizations which seem to threaten our own society.

Besides, physical torture really is fairly medieval anyhow; surely the pharmaceutical industry has something they can provide to help people loosen up and tell what they know...? A little surreptitious LSD administration perhaps?