Thursday, March 5

Senior Seminar. Despite Edward Bellamy’s bland prose, Looking Backward was a runaway bestseller. (In fact it was the third-best-selling book in 19th-century America. Uncle Tom’s Cabin, of course, was number one.) And despite its high kumbaya index it was taken quite seriously and prompted the birth of “Bellamy Clubs” devoted to promoting its brand of socialism.

While it can be argued that Bellamy fundamentally misunderstood capitalism, a few of the economic ideas in Looking Backward have taken root (in the form, for example, of consumer cooperatives like REI and warehouse stores like Costco). But most economists today would probably just laugh at Bellamy’s insistence on the necessity of central government economic planning:

In your day the production and distribution of commodities being without concert or organization, there was no means of knowing just what demand there was for any class of products, or what was the rate of supply. Therefore, any enterprise by a private capitalist was always a doubtful experiment. The projector having no general view of the field of industry and consumption, such as our government has, could never be sure either what the people wanted, or what arrangements other capitalists were making to supply them. (140)
Actually, a free-enterprise system “without concert or organization” does have a “means of knowing” about supply and demand. Marketing departments do a great job of figuring out “what the people want,” and advertising actually creates wants where none existed before. And the profit motive (as Marx was fully aware) provides a tremendous incentive for capitalists to diligently seek out and exploit weaknesses in the existing production and distribution of goods. (There are no comparable incentives for government planners.) Less efficient businesses get destroyed by more efficient ones, leading to the continuous improvement of the economic system overall.

Yes, argue the free-marketeers, this system is unstable and in many ways wasteful, but on balance the gains in efficiency far outweigh the losses of what is sometimes called capitalism’s “creative destruction” (which refers to the way old practices are continually destroyed as new ones are continually created — or, as Marx put it, the way “all that is solid melts into air”).

Part of what Bellamy seems not to understand is the general idea of spontaneous order, in which highly organized systems emerge on their own without any actual agent doing the organization — systems whose organization is in fact far beyond the planning capabilities of any agent. (Think of the evolution of ecosystems — who could possibly design one from scratch?) As the philosopher Friedrich Hayek pointed out, capitalism is such a system and thus works best when left to operate on its own. (Needless to say, Hayek is one of the key figures in modern conservativism.)

Here’s another passage I want to call to your attention but can’t think of any clever paragraph transition for:
Now nothing about your age is, at first sight, more astounding to a man of modern times than the fact that men engaged in the same industry, instead of fraternizing as comrades and co-laborers to a common end, should have regarded each other as rivals and enemies to be throttled and overthrown…. Your contemporaries, with their mutual throat-cutting, knew very well what they were at. The producers of the nineteenth century were not, like ours, working together for the maintenance of the community, but each solely for his own maintenance at the expense of the community. If, in working to this end, he at the same time increased the aggregate wealth, that was merely incidental. It was just as feasible and as common to increase one’s private hoard by practices injurious to the general welfare. One’s worst enemies were necessarily those of his own trade, for, under your plan of making private profit the motive of production, a scarcity of the article he produced was what each particular producer desired. It was for his interest that no more of it should be produced than he himself could produce. To secure this consummation as far as circumstances permitted, by killing off and discouraging those engaged in his line of industry, was his constant effort. When he had killed off all he could, his policy was to combine with those he could not kill, and convert their mutual warfare into a warfare upon the public at large by cornering the market, as I believe you used to call it, and putting up prices to the highest point people would stand before going without the goods. The day dream of the nineteenth century producer was to gain absolute control of the supply of some necessity of life, so that he might keep the public at the verge of starvation, and always command famine prices for what he supplied. (140-141)
The modern free-market economist would agree with Bellamy that, when private greed leads to greater “aggregate wealth,” such a result is “merely incidental.” But so what? The question is not whether capitalism’s contribution to the aggregate wealth is intentional or incidental, but whether it is greater than socialism’s contribution. On this point, at least, history has not been kind to Bellamy.

On the other hand, Bellamy’s criticism of monopolies was spot-on in the 1880s and still rings true today. We still have antitrust laws designed to prevent the creation of monopolies. And we still generally insist that certain “necessit[ies] of life,” such as drinking water, be produced and distributed in common rather than by private enterprise.

Of the many responses (both pro and con) to Looking Backard, perhaps the best, at least from a purely literary perspective, was News from Nowhere by British socialist William Morris.

Edward Bellamy had a cousin named Francis Bellamy, who was a Christian socialist and who wrote the Pledge of Allegiance in 1892. Now for your questions: Which economic system is most consistent with Christian values? Are things like economic efficiency and aggregate wealth creation relevant in answering such a question?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel like a lot of people think Christians are all wealthy, and therefore are for big business and making the rich, richer. There is no grounds for this, in fact Christians are told to help the poor, give to the needy, "do unto others as you would have done unto you." I'm not saying Christians all are for the poor people, and give to them. Christians are not always generous and thoughtful, but we are supposed to be; we're humans and sometimes we're selfish, but we are told not to be. I think the more Christian ideal is the story we read because it looks out for people who are poor, and unable to get on their feet. But that's just what I think.

Snoopy

SHETH said...

I’ve often been told that Christians are supposed to be capitalists, or in the least, they are supposed to support free-trade and defend against communism. It’s difficult for me to understand why ‘Christians’ are supposed to be pro-capitalist when at the same time they are told to deny the world and live for God. There are a lot of things that I would love to have, that I would love to buy and own, but at the same time I’m supposed to follow God - how can I do this with all this stuff I now own? I’m told to help the economy and buy American, but how is that possible when everything of decent quality is made in China, Japan, and India? There seems to be a contradiction in Christianity here (at least in my eyes). True Christians aren’t supposed to bother with the things of this world, but it seems many American Christians have bought in to the idea that God wants them to have a Jaguar, a 54” LCD TV, and a 6 bedroom home.

And the communist ideas certainly seem to be (at least in part) in some places within the Christian community. Looking at Abbeys and Monasteries I can’t help but think that those are areas where the individual works for the good of the whole. Could it be said that Jesus and his disciples were the same way? I mean, in Christianity we are asked to work for God and are to band together as one to defeat the enemy. Isn’t this the same in Communism? Certainly the ‘enemy’ is different, but the platform is the same.

Anonymous said...

Well I know one thing for certain, it is not the Conservative Republican Capitalist Economic System of America that is most consistent with Christian Values. I have first hand experience knowing this fact as a Christian, who had to struggle to understand what it and who it was I stood for. I soon learned, as I believe most reasonably educated Christians would soon discover, that most of the concepts of socialism are more in harmony with the teachings of Jesus.

I'm not personally a socialist, I don't think someone who works harder than another, or has a better quality of skill, should not be better rewarded for their efforts. However, I don't think the Republican Party should block programs to help those less fortunate get back on their feet, or to provide for those who have unfortunate circumstances. That is the problem with the Republican defense of Capitalism, many of them want to say they are Christians but deserve their wealth? Now what's more important if you claim Christianity as your religion: Wealth? or Providing for the poor? I believe it is the latter.

I know Capitalism is not one in unison with Christianity. I know Socialism is more in line. Personally, I would look for something in between these two concepts.

Anonymous said...

For more detailed rants of mine on this very subject read my personal blog and the entries titled, "Really Conservatives" and "Democratic Liberals are the Real True Christians." http://jesseanthonyguerrero.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Capitalism thrives on excess gain for the individual, while socialism is obviously the opposite. Socialism creates a sense of community, solidarity towards a higher goal. So does Christianity. Christianity in its pure theory strives towards a paradise and so does communism. The application process is obviously the issue, as if a Marxist critic, with their affinity for historical relevance, would obviously note, Christianity as a system has helped create and arguably become entrenched in the oppressive status quo it should, according to its theory, be undermining or entirely avoiding. This same Marxist critic would of course have to take into account the failings of the Soviet Union under the flag of “communism”. Once again there is a parallel between Christianity and communism: both are nearly, if not entirely, impossible to apply to reality.

Also, one small note: you made mention of Bellamy’s inaccuracy as far as the monitoring of supply and demand were/are concerned, and yes, he was wrong, at least for our time, but perhaps not so much for his. I’m assuming that the advertisement industry, which so skillfully manipulates supply and demand in our era, was not the well-developed powerhouse it is today. Despite his inaccuracy, maybe we can’t adequately blame him for misunderstanding something that at his time did not really exist.